Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Indian 'bombers' sketches issued

Indian police have issued sketches of three men who they believe are involved in the serial blasts that killed at least 20 people in Delhi.

The three are suspected of planting the bombs that hit the capital on Saturday. There have been no arrests so far.

About 90 people were injured when the five devices went off in busy shopping areas within minutes of each other.

An e-mail purportedly from a group calling itself the "Indian Mujahideen" claimed it carried out the attacks.

The police said the photofit pictures of the three men had been drawn up from information given by half a dozen eyewitnesses.

The pictures show three men, one with a short beard and another wearing a skull cap.

"The sketches were drawn with information from witnesses who saw these men either move suspiciously or place suspect-looking bags," police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.

Separately, a federal government panel has recommended tougher laws to fight attacks by militant groups in the country.

"We need a comprehensive anti-terror law, but there should be adequate safeguards," senior politician and panel chief, Veerappa Moily, said.

No comments: