Friday, July 31, 2009

Baby steps for Bruce ahead of Ticats debut

It would seem Arland Bruce has a better chance of helping the Hamilton Tiger-Cats with his feet more than his hands when he debuts with the CFL team Friday night .

Having only one practice and a walk through under his belt prior to the B.C. Lions' visit to Ivor Wynne Stadium (7:30 p.m. ET), the former Toronto Argonauts slotback probably will spend the bulk of his playing time returning kicks.

"We'll see how the game goes," Tiger-Cats head coach Marcel Bellefeuille told reporters on Thursday. "He's only had one day of practice, so we're limited in the type of things he can do. But we've taught him a few things to get him on the field."

Bruce, 31, who surpassed the 1,200-yard receiving mark with Toronto three of the past four years, is just happy to contribute after a turbulent start to the season.

"It's a process," he said of adjusting to a new team, "and I'm just taking strides right now. I think that mixing up [my playing time] with offence and special teams will definitely get me going. I've got all this energy inside me that I can't wait to release."

Hamilton traded for Bruce on Wednesday, sending the rights to defensive lineman Corey Mace, a third-round pick next year as well as a conditional pick in the 2011 draft to the Argos.

No comments: